You know what Fall and baking means. Adding pumpkin to everything. Also relevant to Fall: pretending to care about football, pretending to participate in “fall fashion”, and staring down the barrel of Seasonal Affective Disorder season.
But hooray for fall breakfasts like this pumpkin banana buckwheat muffin. This breakfast is awesomely customizable. You can substitute chia or hemp seeds for the flax meal, oat flour in place of the buckwheat flour, maybe add in a little protein powder and up the liquid, get krazie with the toppings.
Pumpkin Banana Buckwheat Muffin
- 1/2 medium, ripe banana
- 1/4 cup pumpkin purée
- 1 tbsp flaxmeal
- 1 tbsp buckwheat groats (can omit)
- 1 tbsp cocoa or carob powder
- 1/2 tsp or more of pumpkin pie spice (or just use cinnamon)
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup milk (I use almond milk)
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup or sugar
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- Toppings! Almond butter or peanut butter, nuts (I use chopped walnuts), shredded coconut, cacao nibs, hemp seeds, bacon, red wine, ANYTHING!
- With a fork, mash banana in a bowl you can microwave and eat out of.
- Add pumpkin, flax meal, buckwheat groats, carob powder, pumpkin spice, salt, milk, syrup or sugar. Stir it all together with the fork.
- Add the buckwheat flour and baking soda.
- Now use a spoon to stir everything together until everything is JUST incorporated. I usually try to scrape down the sides.
- Microwave for 2 – 3 minutes. When you press on it it should be relatively firm like a muffin.
- Add toppings and get creative.
- Don’t burn your mouth.