Fall is when I ramp up my usage of the slow cooker. This Red Lentil Slow Cooker Soup is healthy, warming, and fragrant with coconut and curry.
Red Lentil Slow Cooker Soup
Based on this recipe.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 3 hours minimum in the slow cooker
- 2 cups red lentils, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 onions and 2-3 celery stalks, finely chopped, OR 1 packet of frozen chopped onions and celery (like the one above)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (or a big scoop from Costco’s gallon-sized minced garlic container)
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp curry powder (I like the one above)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes, including juice
- 1-2 carrots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 6 cups vegetable broth or
- 1 (14 ounce) can light coconut milk
- In a large skillet, set heat to medium and add oil. After a minute or so add chopped onion. Cook and stir onion until translucent and browned. Or just add frozen vegetables and cook all together.
- Add celery and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Add garlic, turmeric, curry powder, salt and pepper; cook, stirring for 1-2 minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon mixture into slow cooker and then add lentils, carrots, lemon juice, and broth to the slow cooker. Stir everything together and cover.
- Cook on high for 3-5 hours, or low for 7-10 hours.
- Stir in coconut milk and cook on high for 10-20 minutes.
- Serve with biscuits like these delicious whole wheat vegan drop biscuits.
This soup should keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Enjoy!